PE and Sport
To deliver a curriculum which:
- Allows for an appreciation of the importance of physical activity in maintaining a healthy lifestyle,
- Develop a lifelong love of sport and physical activity.
- Is tailored to meet the needs of all children, including the most vulnerable, so everyone can participate equally.
- Challenges children to develop their skills and knowledge progressively,
- Develops cultural literacy by identifying sporting events, icons and looking at the history of sport.
- Develops pupil’s attitudes to sports and game so they can challenge themselves and others whilst having a healthy attitude to team games and individual challenge.
- Is accessible to all.
- Is inclusive, fair and enjoyable.
During KS2 children will be taught to
• Play competitive games, modified where appropriate, such as football, netball, rounders, cricket, hockey, basketball, badminton and tennis and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending.
• Take part in gymnastics activities.
• Take part in athletics activities.
• Perform dances.
• Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
• Swimming and water safety: take swimming instruction either in Key Stage 1 or Key Stage 2.